|2005||Ph.D., Atmospheric Science||North Carolina State University|
|2001||MS., Atmospheric Science||University of Nairobi/North Carolina State University|
|1997||BS., Meteorology||University of Nairobi|
|08/2014 – Present||Associate Professor, Department of Natural Resources and the Environment, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT|
|08/2008 –08/2014||Assistant Professor, Department of Natural Resources and the Environment, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT|
|08/2007 – 07/2008||Research Associate, Department of Environmental Sciences, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ|
|08/2007 – 07/2008:||Visiting Scientist, Microscale and Mesoscale Modeling (MMM) Division, National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR),Boulder, CO|
|09/2005 –08/2006||Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Environmental Sciences, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ|
|08/2001 –08/2005||Graduate Research Assistant, Climate System Dynamics and Modeling Laboratory, North Carolina State University,|
|09/2000 –08/2001||Associate Research Scientist, WMO/IGAD Drought Monitoring Center for Eastern and Central Africa, Nairobi, KE|
|11/2000 –05/2001||Lecturer, Kenya National Polytechnic, Nairobi, KE|
- Regional Climate Dynamics
- Coupled regional climate-hydrologic modeling
- Regional climate change impacts and vulnerability assessments
- Climate-Human-Ecosystem interactions
Current or Recent Research Grants
- Role of coupled climate-hydrology-land use connections and influence on present and future hydroclimates of the Horn of Africa (NSF): 9/1/2013-9/1/2014
- Climate Extremes, Climate Change and Agriculture in Northeastern United States (USDA): 10/1/2011-9/30/2016
- Research Experience for Undergraduates (NSF-REU): Feb. 2010 - September, 2012
- Modeling climate variability and change of the Greater Horn of Africa, National Science Foundation (NSF), October 2008 - September 2012
- UCAR Africa Initiative on NWP Demonstration in Africa, University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR), Sept. 2007-June 2008
Kazi, F.A., Guiling, W., Liangzhi Y., Anyah, R.O., Chuanrong Z., and Burnicki, A., 2017: Projecting regional climate and cropland changes using a linked a biogeophysical-socioeconomic modleing framework: 2. Transient dynamics. J. Advances in Modeling Earth Systems (JAMES):DOI: 10.1002/2016MS000712
Khandu, K., Awange, J., Anyah, R.O., Fukuda, Y., 2016: Assessing regional climate simulations of the last 30 years (1982–2012) over Ganges–Brahmaputra–Meghna River Basin. Climate Dynamics:DOI: 10.1007/s00382-016-3457-0
Erfanian, A., Guiling, W., You, M., Anyah, R.O., 2016: Multimodel ensemble simulations of present and future climates over West Africa: Impacts of vegetation dynamics.J. Advances in Modeling Earth Systems (JAMES): DOI: 10.1002/2016MS000660
Khandu, K., Awange, J., Kuhn, M., Anyah, R.O., and Forootan, E., 2016: Changes and variability of precipitation and temperature in the Ganges-Brahmaputra-Meghna River Basin based on global high-resolution reanalyses: GBM River Basin: Changes and variability of rainfall and temperature. Int. J. Climatol DOI:10.1002/joc.4842
Forootan, E.,Khandu, K., Awange, J., Schumacker, M., Anyah, R.O., Martijn van Djik, Kusche, J., 2016: Quantifying the impacts of ENSO and IOD on rain gauge and remotely sensed precipitation products over Australia. Remote Sensing of the Environment:172:50-66
Xie, L., Semazzi, F.H.M., Hanna, A., Anyah, R.O., Gao, H., and He, Y., 2015: Regional Climate Change: Downscaling, Prediction, and Impact Assessment. Advances in Meteorology: DOI: 10.1155/2015/290281
Awange, J.L., Gebremichael, M., Forootan,E., Wakbulcho, G., Anyah, R.O., Ferreira, V.G., and T. Alemayehu, T., 2014: Characterization of Ethiopian mega hydrogeological regimes using GRACE, TRMM and GLDAS datasets. Advances in Water Resources: 74, 64–78
Awange J.L, Anyah, R.O., Agola, N.O, Forootan, E., and Omondi, P.O. 2013: Potential impacts of climate and environmental change on the stored water of Lake Victoria Basin and economic implications. Water Resources Research: 49, 1–14, doi:10.1002/2013WR014350
- Otieno, V.O, and Anyah,R.O., 2013: CMIP5 simulated climate conditions of the Greater Horn of Africa (GHA). Part II: Projected climate. Climate Dynamics :DOI: 10.1007/s00382-013-1694-z
- Kazi, F.A., Guiling, W., Silander,J., Adam, M. W., Jenica, M. A., Radley, H., Anyah, R.O., 2013: Statistical Downscaling and Bias Correction of Climate Model Outputs for Climate Change Impact Assessment in the U.S. Northeast. Global and Planetary Change: 100, 320-332
- Otieno, V.O., and Anyah,R.O., 2012: CMIP5 simulated climate conditions of the Greater Horn of Africa (GHA). Part 1: contemporary climate. Climate Dynamics: DOI: 10.1007/s00382-012-1549-z
- Otieno, V.O., and. Anyah, R.O., 2012: Observed and simulated influence of land use changes on the Greater Horn of Africa climate. Case study over Kenya. Clim Res., 52,77-95
- Giorgi, F., and Anyah,R.O.,2012: Evolution of regional climate modeling: The road towards RegCM4. Clim Res.,52, 3-6
- Omondi, P.A., Ogallo, L.A., Anyah, R.O., Muthama, J.N., and Ininda, J. 2012: Linkages between Global Sea Surface Temperatures and Decadal Rainfall Variability over Eastern Africa region. Int. J. Climatol. DOI: 10.1002/joc.3578
- Shalaby, A.A., M.A. Wahab, Anyah,R.O. and A. Yousef: 2012: Non-hydrostatic Hybrid-Coordinate Modelling: Simulation of extreme weather event on 20-22 April 2005 in Cairo, Egypt, Atmospheric Research, 108, 74-85
- Anyah R.O, and Weini Qiu, 2012: Characteristic 20th and 21st century precipitation and temperature patterns and changes over the Greater Horn of Africa. Int. J. Climatol., 32(3), 347-363
- Anyah, R.O., 2009: Simulated groundwater influence on extreme hydro-climatic conditions. Case study over Mid-Western United States. International Association of Hydrological Sciences (IAHS). IAHS Publ. 334, 94-100
- Anyah, R. O., F. H. M. Semazzi and Lian Xie, 2009: Hydrodynamic characteristics of Lake Victoria based on idealized 3D Lake Model Simulations. Int. J. Climatol., 29,971-981.
- Anyah, R. O., and F. H. M. Semazzi, and J.H. Bowden, 2009: Horn of African Regional Climate Model Intercomparison Project (AFRMIP):CLIVAR-Exchanges, No.40, 3-6.
- Anyah, R.O., C. Weaver, Y. Fan, Miguez-Macho Gonzalo, and A. Robock, 2008: Incorporating water table dynamics in Climate Modeling Part III: Simulated groundwater influence on coupled land-atmosphere variability. J. Geophys. Res., 113, doi:10.1029/2007JD009087
- Anyah, R.O.., and F. H. M. Semazzi, 2007: Variability of East African rainfall based on multi-year RegCM3 model simulations. International Journal of Climatology: 27, 357-371.
- Anyah, R. O., F. H. M. Semazzi and Lian Xie, 2006: Simulated physical mechanisms associated with multi-scale climate variability over Lake Victoria Basin in East Africa, Mon. Wea. Rev.:134,3588-3609.
- Anyah, R.O., 2015: Linkages between global teleconnections and total water storage changes in sub-Sahara Africa. GEWEX SSG27, Medellin, Colombia. 16-19 February 2015
- Anyah, R.O., 2014: Challenges and Opportunities for user-driven climate science & research over the Horn of Africa . The 36th Greater Horn of Africa climate Outlook Forum (GHACOF36), 25-28 February 2014. Entebbe, Uganda.
- Anyah, R.O., 2013: Modeling the dynamically coupled climate-hydrologic processes over Lake Victoria Basin. 18-19 July 2013. University of Reading, London, UK.
- Anyah, R.O. 2013: Climate Extremes and Anomalies: Decision-Making under uncertainty. 1 March, 2013. Dept. of Animal Science, University of Connecticut
- Anyah, R.O. 2013: Development of the Horn of Africa integrated Climate-Diagnostic and Decision Monitor (GHACOF33) 18-20 February, 2013. Hotel Duc Lac Tanganyika, Bujumbura, Burundi
- Anyah, R.O. 2012: Large-scale and regional dynamics and drivers of the Horn of Africa climate system. Conference on the Dynamics of African Climate. Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 14-15 October 2012
- Anyah, R.O. 2012: Dynamical Seasonal Forecasting system for the Greater Horn of Africa. Challenges in evaluating regional climate simulations. UK Met/ICPAC Seasonal Forecasting Workshop. 20-24 August, 2012. ICPAC, Nairobi-Kenya
- Anyah, R.O.2012: Needs and Priorities for enhancing availability and use of climate services in Africa. The 30th Greater Horn of Africa climate Outlook Forum (GHACOF30) 27-29 February, 2012. Serena Hotel, Kigali, Rwanda
- Anyah, R.O. 2011: Climate-hydrology Connections: Potential effects of groundwater processes in climate models. Sino-USA collaboration on climate, eco-hydrology and water resources. China Agriculture University, Beijing China, May 11 2011
- Anyah, R.O.2011: NSF-AFRMIP Project: Challenges in evaluating regional climate simulations over the Greater Horn of Africa. ICTP-TWAS-ICPAC joint workshop on regional climate modeling in support of impacts and adaptation assessments in the water and agriculture sector. ICPAC-Nairobi, Kenya. June 20-24 2011
- Anyah, R.O.2011: Global and Regional Climate Model information for risk mitigation over the Greater Horn of Africa. The Twenty Seventh Greater Horn of Africa climate Outlook Forum (GHACOF27) and Climate Change Adaptation Workshop for Policy Makers. 28 February to 4 March, 2011. Snowcrest Hotel, Arusha, Tanzania
- Anyah, R.O. 2010: Characterization of Model Uncertainties: Implications for climate change adaptation assessments and strategies in Africa. First Learning Forum on Climate Change Adaptation in Africa, sponsored by International Development Research Center (IDRC). Windsor Hotel Nairobi, Kenya, 8-12 March, 2010
- Anyah, R.O: Impact of groundwater reservoir on simulated extreme hydroclimatic conditions. International Conference on Groundwater and Climate in Africa. Speke Commonwealth Resort Center Munyonyo. Kampala, Uganda June 24-28, 2008.
- Anyah, R.O: Factors associated with recent droughts in eastern Africa. Conference on Monitoring and Modeling of the African Droughts. International Center for Theoretical Physics (ICTP), Trieste, Italy: 2-6 June, 2008.
- Anyah, R. O: Developing regional climate change scenarios for impacts assessments and adaptation strategies in the water sector in Egypt: WMO Project on Climate change Adaptations in the water sector in Egypt, First National Kick-off Workshop. Water Resources Center, Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation, Cairo, Egypt 13-15April, 2008.
- Anyah, R. O: Impact of groundwater reservoir on the simulated land surface-atmosphere coupled variability. Department of Natural Resources and the Environment, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT, 20March, 2008.
- Anyah, R. O: Impact of groundwater reservoir on the simulated land surface-atmosphere coupled variability. Department of Earth and Environmental Science, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA, 31January, 2008.