Dr. John Barclay
Department of Natural Resources and the Environment
University of Connecticut
U-4087, 1376 Storrs Road
Storrs, CT 06269-4087
Tel: (860) 486-0143
Fax: (860) 486-5408
|Ph.D.||Zoology (Wildlife)||Ohio State University 1970|
|M.S.||Wildlife Ecology||Pennsylvania State College 1965|
|B.S.||Wildlife Management||University of Maine 1962|
|1996-Present||Director, Wildlife Conservation Research Center, U. of Connecticut|
|1985-Present||Associate Professor, Wildlife Ecology, University of Connecticut|
|1985-Present||Connecticut Extension Wildlife Specialist, University of Connecticut|
|1979-1981||Stream. Alter. Leader/Riparian Ecologist, USFW Service, Leetown, W.V.|
|1975-1985||Associate Professor, Oklahoma State University (on leave 1979-1981)|
|July 1979||Visiting Professor, Arkansas Wildlife Employees Training Program|
|1974,1975||Visiting Prof., Marine Birds & Mammals, U. Oregon, Inst. Marine Biol.|
|1970-1975||Assistant Professor, Oklahoma State University|
- Wildlife Ecology (graduate)
- Wildlife Management (graduate)
- Private Lands Wildlife Management
- Wildlife Management Techniques
- Environmental Conservation
Current Research involvements include: contaminants in American Woodcock, behavior of resident Canada Geese, urban White-tailed Deer management, status of American Kestrel, Ruffed Grouse restoration, population ecology of Greater Scaup.
4-H Wildlife Cons.(verbal appr. May ‘04).
Grouse and Woodcock Conservation Proj
Nuisance Resident Can. geese. 3/04.
3rd yr of 3, Quaker Valley Farm, NY 15,000|
3rd yr of 3, Anon. Donor 45,000
NE Wildl. Damage Coop. 25,000
Nuisance geese. Renewal, 2nd of 2yrs.
Role of cadmium in male woodcock.
1st CT Wildlife Conserv. Conf. Apr.’06.
NE Wildl. Damage Unit, Ithaca, NY 22,000|
French Foundation. 3,500
Natnl. Shooting Sprts Fnd , CT. 2,000
UC Research Fnd. 500
Restoration of Ruffed Grouse
Moose Ecology and Behavior in CT.
Quaker Valley Farm, NY. 40,000|
NE Wildl. Damage, Ithaca, NY 29,343
- Kilpatrick, H. J., A. M. LaBonte andJ. S. Barclay2007. Acceptability of lethal and non-lethal deer management strategies: perspectives of bowhunters and homeowners in a suburban community.Journal of Wildlife Management71(6): 2095-2101.
- Kilpatrick, H. J., A. M. LaBonte andJ. S. Barclay2007. Factors affecting hunter access in suburban areas: perspectives of landowners and bowhunters.Journal of Wildlife Management71(6):2102-2105.
- Kilpatrick, H. J., A. M. LaBonte andJ. S. Barclay2007. Deer harvest opportunities and incentives for bowhunters in suburban areas.Journal of Wildlife Management (accepted but re-submitting as two papers).
- Hiller, B., I. Sidor, S. De Guise andJ. Barclay. 2007. Prevalence of Sarcosystis sp. in American Woodcock collected in Connecticut.Journal of Parasitology93(6):1529-1530.
- Kilpatrick, H, A. LaBonte andJ. Barclay. 2005. Factors affecting harvest-reporting rates for white-tailed deer.Wildlife Society Bulletin33(3):974-980.
- Kilpatrick, H, A. LaBonte,J. Barclayand G. Warner. 2004. Assessing strategies to improve bowhunting as a an urban deer management tool.Wildlife Society Bulletin32(4):1177-1184.
- Barclay, J. S.2003. A “Consensus Statement” on American Woodcock.Connecticut Wildlife23(1):14-15. (refereed, edited and concurred to by all 41 attendees at the 2001 Woodcock Workshop).
- Kilpatrick, H. J., A. M. LaBonte, andJ. S. Barclay. 2010. Use of Bait to Increase Archery Deer Harvest in an Urban-Suburban Landscape. Journal of Wildlife Management. (in press).
- Hiller, B. J. andJ. S. Barclay.2010. Heavy Metals in American Woodcock Collected in Connecticut. Archives of Environmental Contaminants and Toxicology. Published online 19 April (in press).
- Sparling, D.W., B. A. Rattner, andJ. S. Barclay. 2010. The Toll of Toxics. lnvestigating Environmental Contaminants. The Wildlife Professional 4(3):23-30. Invited.
- Barclay, J. S.And J. P. Fisher (eds.). 1996. Inventory of natural resources and processes on Robins Island. Final Report to Robins Island Preservation Corp., New Suffolk, NY. 223pp.
- Barclay, J. S. 1996.Zoology.Final Report No. JHR 96, Project No. 87 – 106.In: Wetland Mitigation. Vol. 2 (of 6). UCONN-JHR-90-189, CONNDOT Joint Highway Res. 230pp.
- Barclay, J. S., C. R. Perkins, M. E. Tomassone, and K. A. Eccleston. 1995. Declining populations of ducks and habitat quality in Long Island Sound. Final Report. CT DEP Long Island Sound Studies Program, Hartford, CT. 170pp.