Dr. John Clausen
Department of Natural Resources and the Environment
University of Connecticut
U-4087, 1376 Storrs Road
Storrs, CT 06269-4087
|Ph.D. 1981||Forest Hydrology, Univ. of Minnesota|
|M.S. 1973||Forest Hydrology, Univ. of Minnesota|
|B.S. 1971.||Forest Resources Development, Univ. of Minnesota|
|NRE 2010||Natural Resources Measurements|
|NRE 3105||Wetlands Biology and Conservation|
|NRE 3155||Water Quality Management|
|NRE 4000W||Natural Resources Planning and Management|
|NRE 5155||Principles of Nonpoint Source Pollution|
|NRE 6135||Small Watershed Modeling (with G. Warner)|
Nonpoint source pollution is the general area of my research. More specifically, that includes riparian zone restoration, analyzing the effectiveness of various best management practices, and evaluating models. I also continue to do research in wetland hydrology and water quality. I have a general interest in proper designs of water quality monitoring studies and have written a book on the subject.
- 2006 - present: Professor, UConn
- 1993 - 2006: Associate Professor, UConn
- 1990 - 1993: Assistant Professor, UConn.
- 1989 - 1990: Research Associate Professor, U. of Vermont
- 1985 - 1987: Director, Vermont Water Resources Research Center
- 1981-1989; Research assistant Professor, U. of Vermont
- 1973 - 1981: Hydrologist, Minnesota Dept. of Natural Resources
- Bedan, E. S. and J. C. Clausen. 2009. Stormwater runoff quality and quantity from traditional and low impact development watersheds. J. Amer. Water Res. Assoc. 45:998-1008.
- Dietz, M., and J.C. Clausen. 2008. Stormwater runoff and export changes with development in a traditional and low impact subdivision. Journal of Environmental Management. 87:560-566.
- Hood, M.A, J.C. Clausen, and G.S. Warner. 2007. Comparison of stormwater lag times for a low impact development and traditional residential development. J. Amer. Water Res. Assoc. 43:1036-1046.
- Hood., M. J., J. C. Clausen, and G.S. Warner. 2006. Low impact development works! J. Soil & Water Conservation Society. 60(5):115A-117A
- Gilbert, J.K. and J.C. Clausen. 2006. Stormwater runoff quality and quantity from asphalt, paver, and crushed stone driveways in Connecticut. Water Research. 40:826-832.
- Clausen, J.C., I. M. Ortega, C.M. Glaude, R.A. Relyea, G. Garray, and O. Guineo. 2006. Classification of wetlands in a Patagonian National Park, Chile. Wetlands. 26(1): 217-229.
- Dietz, M.E. and J. C. Clausen. 2006. Saturation to improve pollutant retention in a rain garden. Environ. Sci. & Technol. 40:1335-1340.
- Dietz, M.E. and J. C. Clausen. 2005. A field evaluation of rain garden flow and pollutant treatment. Water, Air and Soil Pollution. 167:123-138.
- Gregoire, B.G. and J.C. Clausen. 2011. Effects of a modular extensive green roof on stormwater runoff and water quality. Ecological Engineering 37:963-969.
- Clausen, J. C. 2014. Water quality and monitoring. Encyclopedia of Natural Resources DOI: 10.1081/E-ENRW-120047558 Taylor & Francis.
- Clausen, J. C. and M. E. Dietz. 2014. Stormwater management. Encyclopedia of Natural Resources DOI: 10.1081/E-ENRW-120047552 Taylor & Francis.
- Rosa, D. J., J.C. Clausen, and M. Dietz. 2015. Calibration and verification of SWMM for low impact development. Journal of the American Water Resources Association. 51(3):746-758.
- Rosa, D.J., J.C. Clausen, and J. Kuzovkina. 2017. Water quality changes in a short-rotation woody crop riparian buffer. Biomass and Bioenergy (Submitted).
- Pivarnik, A., J.C. Clausen, and D.J Rosa. 2017. A soil additive to reduce runoff and pollutants from dairy heavy use areas. J of Soil and Water Conservation (Submitted).
- Gant Plaza Green Roof Project. J. Clausen. 2008-2010, US EPA & CT Dept. of Environ. Prot.
- Effects of vegetation on bacteria and pollutant reduction in a stormwater wetland. J. Clausen, 2006-2009, USDA-CSREES
- 2010-2013 Clausen, J. C. Physiological Responses of Phragmites australis to the Timing of Plastic Covering Treatments, USDA Hatch. $39,421.
- 2011-2013 Post-audit verification of the model SWMM for low impact development, DOI/US Geological Survey. (Co-PI). M. Dietz (PI) $29,866.
- 2012-2016 Organic Stabilizer to Reduce Sediment and Associated Pollutant Losses from Dairy Heavy Use Areas, USDA-NRCS-CT. (PI) with M. Dietz. $75,000.
- 2012-2017 Agroforestry Riparian Project for Biofuel and Environmental Benefits, USDA-NIFA-Hatch. (PI) with C. Rittenhouse, D. Civco, J. Kuzovkina, G. Robbins, G. Warner, J. Volin, X. Yang. $70,000.
- 2016-2021 Path to Reduce Pathogens in CT Agricultural Runoff. USDA-NRCS-RCPP. (PI) with A. Morzillo, M. Dietz, R. Meinert. $669,000.
- 2010 New York Farmers Award
- 2010 Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
- 2012 National Soil and Water Conservation Society Commendation Award
- 2013 Northeast Region, United States Department of Agriculture Food and Agriculture Sciences Excellence in Teaching Award