Department of Natural Resources and the Environment
University of Connecticut
U-4087, 1376 Storrs Road
Storrs, CT 06269-4087
Fax: (860) 486-5408
|Ph.D.||Forest Science||Texas A&M University 1998|
|M.S.||Computer Science||University of New Mexico 1986|
|B.S.||Mechanical Engineering||University of Arizona 1981|
- Wolfram Innovator Award 2013
- University of Connecticut Teaching Fellow 2014
- Meyer, Thomas H. (2010) Introduction to Geometrical and Physical Geodesy: Foundations of Geomatics. ESRI Press. 246 pp.
Recent Peer-Reviewed Papers
- Meyer, Thomas H. and Franklin, Kevin D. (2016) A Probability Primer, Part 1: Randomness, Distributions, and Histograms. Surveying and Land Information Science 75(1): 35-42.
Meyer, Thomas (in review) Mark-to-Mark Reductions. Surveying and Land Information Science.
Witharana, Chandi; Civco, Daniel; Meyer, Thomas (2014) Evaluation of data fusion and image segmentation in earth observation based rapid mapping workflows. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing. 87(Jan) 1-18.
- Qu, Liqin, Xue, Zhao; and Meyer, Thomas (in review) Helmert Transformations of NAD 27 and NAD 83 Positions in Connecticut. Surveying and Land Information Science.
- Pozdynakov, Vladimir, Meyer, Thomas, Wang, Yu-Bo, Yan, Jun (2013) On Modeling Animal Movements Using Brownian Motion with Measurement Error. Ecology 95(2): 247-253.
- Chandi Witharana, Daniel L. Civco, Thomas H. Meyer (2014) Evaluation of data fusion and image segmentation in earth observation based rapid mapping workflows. In Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing. 87(January): 1-18
- Yan, Jun; Chen,Yung-wei; Lawerence-Apfel, Kirstin; Ortega, Morty; Pozdnyakov, Vladimir; Williams, Scott; Thomas Meyer (in press) A Moving-Resting Process with an Embedded Brownian Motion for Animal Movements. Population Ecology 56:401-415.
- Chandi Witharana, Daniel L. Civco, Thomas H. Meyer (2013) Evaluation of Pansharpening Algorithms in Support of Humanitarian Crisis Management. Applied Geography 37, 63-87
- Ecker, Geoffrey, Meyer, Thomas, Auer, Carol (2013) Pollen longevity and dispersion models for switchgrass (Panicum virgatum L.). Crop Science. 53: 1-8.
- Meyer, T. H. and Pozdynakov, V. (2013) Checking GNSS-determined positions and baselines with EDM-observed distances. Survey Review 45(331) 275-280.
- Kirstin Lawrence-Apfel, Thomas H. Meyer, Kazi Arifuzzaman, Isaac M. Ortega (2012) An accuracy assessment of global navigation satellite system wildlife-tracking collars in the southern Chilean Patagonia. Anales Instituto Patagonia (Chile), 40(1):77-85.
- Meyer, T. H. and Rollins, C (2011) The Direct and Indirect Problem for Loxodromes. NAVIGATION, 58(1):1-6.
- Rollins, C. and Meyer, T. H. (2012) The Effect of Delta Epsilon on XYZ coordinates. Survey Review, 44(327) 282-284. DOI: 10.1179/1752270611Y.0000000029
- Ahrens, C., Chung, J., Meyer, Thomas, Auer, C. (2011) Bentgrass distribution surveys and habitat suitability maps support ecological risk assessment in cultural landscapes. Weed Science, 59(2):145-154. DOI: 10.1614/WS-D-10-00094.1
- Meyer, T.H., Arifuzzaman, K., and Massalski, D. (2010) Assessing the Accuracy of GEOID03 and GEOID09 in Connecticut. Surveying and Land Information Science, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 89-101
- Junming Wang, April L. Hiscox, David R. Miller, Thomas H. Meyer, and Ted W. Sammis (2009) A Comparison of Lagrangian Model Estimates to Light Detection and Ranging (LIDAR) Measurements of Dust Plumes from Field Tilling. J. Air & Waste Mange. Assoc. 59:1370-1378.
- Wang, J., Hiscox, A. L., Miller, D. R., Meyer, T. H., and Sammis, T. W. (2008) A dynamic Lagrangian, field-scale model of dust dispersion from agriculture tilling operations. Transactions of the ASABE, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 1763-1774.
- Rudnicki, Mark; Meyer, Thomas H; Lieffers, Victor J and Silins, Uldis (2008) The periodic motion of lodgepole pine trees as affected by collisions with neighbors. Trees - Structure and Function, vol. 22, pp. 475-482.
- Meyer, T. H. (2007) Fast algorithms using minimal data structures for common topological relationships in large, irregularly-spaced topographic data sets. Computers & Geosciences, vol. 33 no. 3, pp. 325-334. DOI:10.1016/j.cageo.2006.07.002.
- Rudnicki, Mark and Meyer, Thomas H. (2007) Methods to convert local sampling coordinates into GIS/GPS-compatible coordinate systems. The Northern Journal of Applied Forestry, vol. 24 no. 3, pp. 233-238.
- Tranes, M. D., Meyer, T. H. and Massalski, D. (2007) Comparisons of GPS-Derived Orthometric Heights Using Local Geometric Geoid Models. Journal of Surveying Engineering, vol. 133 no. 1, pp. 6-13.
- Meyer, T.H. and Conshick, J. (2014) A Simple Formula to Calculate Azimuth without a Two-Argument Arctangent Function. Surveying and Land Information Science 73(2), p. 91. ( http://digitalcommons.uconn.edu/nrme_articles/15 )
- Meyer, Thomas (2012) Root mean square error compared and contrasted to standard deviation. Surveying and Land Information Science. 72(3) 1-2. (technical note)
- Meyer, T.H. and Baron, R. (2010) Improving Surveying Accuracy and Efficiency in Connecticut: An Accuracy Assessment of GEOID03 and GEOID09. Final Report, Connecticut Cooperative Transportation Research Program Project No. 06-10, Report No. JHR 10-323, July 2010. (http://digitalcommons.uconn.edu/nrme_articles/12/)
- Scott Zinke, James Mahoney, Thomas H. Meyer (January 2009) Evaluating the Long-Term Performance of Pavements Thermally Imaged During Construction, Phase 1:Developing Spatial Tools for Location Identification, Final Report. ConnDOT Report No. CT-2240-F-08-10.
- Meyer, Thomas H (2008) Creating Useful Products From Connecticut's 2000 LIDAR Data Set. Joint Highway Research Advisory Council, Technical Report JHR 08-314 Project 07-2.
- Meyer T.H . (1998) A conceptual framework for digital terrain modeling. Ph.D. thesis, Texas A&M University.
- Meyer, T.H. (2001) A Review of Terrain Analysis: Principles and Applications . In Ecological Engineering , Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 121-122.
- Witharana, Chandi and Meyer, Thomas (2010) Developing customized ArcGIS tools for disaster management. ERSI User’s Conference. In Proceedings of the IEEE ICIAfS10, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Witharana, C., Civco, D., Meyer, T. and Osleeb, J. (2010) Developing customized ArcGIS tools for disaster management. ERSI User’s Conference, 12-16 July, 2010, San Diego, CA.
- Meyer, Thomas H. (2004) An Airborne Topographic Mapping Lidar Simulator: Preliminary Results . In Proceedings of the ASPRS Annual Conference , May 23-28, Denver, CO.
- Meyer, Thomas H. (2003) The Discontinuous Nature of Kriging Interpolation for Digital Terrain Modeling. In Proceedings of the ACSM Annual Conference , Phoenix, AZ.
- Additonal Papers
- Meyer, T., Elbroch, L.M., Ortega, I., Pozdnyakov, V., Williams, S., and Yan, J.. Utility-Distribution Modeling Using New Moving/Resting Processes. NSF Mathematical Biology. 2013-2015. $7313968. Submitted.
- Meyer, T. Final Testing and Analysis of Connecticut's Real-Time Positioning System (ACORN). U.S. Department of Transportation. 2012-2013. $77,200.
- Meyer, T. and Baron, R. Transforming NAD 27 and NAD 83 Positions: Making Legacy Mapping and Surveys GPS Compatible. JHRAC. 2012-2013. $39,290.
- Auer, C. and Meyer, T. . Grasses for Bioenergy: Pollen Aerobiology, Biocontainment, and Plant Genetics. USDA BRAG. 2011-2014. $306,023.
- Meyer, T. Implementing and Testing a Real-Time Network Positioning System for the Connecticut Department of Transportation's Digital Design Environment. U.S. Department of Transportation. 2010-2012. $510,190.
- Meyer, T. and Volin, J. Assessing invasion potential under differential canopy leaf phenologies in southern New England temperate forest ecosystems. McIntire-Stennis project, CONS00868. 2010-2011.
- Auer, C. and Meyer, T. Predicting ecological risk from perennial grasses engineered for biofuels and turf. CREES-NRI. 2008-2010. $300,000.
- Connecticut Cooperative Highway Research Program. Improving Surveying Accuracy and Efficiency in Connecticut: An Accuracy Assessment of GEOID03. $78K, 2006-2008 (with Baron & Massalski DOT, Fish DEP)
- Connecticut Cooperative Highway Research Program. Creating useful data products from Connecticut's LIDAR dataset, $50K, 2007-2008
- McIntire-Stennis project, M823: Assessing deciduous forest structure in Connecticut using imagery and LIDAR, Rudnicki, Meyer and Civco, 2007-2008.
- McIntire-Stennis: A High-Resolution, Spatially Explicit Model of Small-Footprint Full-waveform LIDAR Returns . Sept, 2002 – Aug, 2004. $42,000
- The Connecticut Institute of Water Resources: A Characterization of the Discontinuous Nature of Kriging Digital Terrain Models . March 1, 2001 to February 28, 2002.
- Office of Sponsored Programs Fall 1998 Equipment Competition Award: Javad Survey-Quality TRK GPS System, $28,559.
- President of the New England Section of the American Congress for Surveying and Mapping
- On the board of directors for Geographic and Land Information Science (GLIS)
Professional Societies and Memberships
- American Congress for Surveying and Mapping.
- America Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Gamma Sigma Delta Agricultural Honor Society
- National Atomic Museum Foundation (Charter Member)
- The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
- Served for one year on the library committee of the Non-profit International Consortium for Eiffel (NICE).
- Xi Sigma Pi Forestry Honor Society