Dr. Jason Vokoun
Dept. of Natural Resources and the Environment
University of Connecticut
U-4087, 1376 Storrs Road
Storrs, CT 06269-4087
Tel: (860) 486-0141
Fax: (860) 486-5408
|Ph.D. 2003||University of Missouri; Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences|
|M.S. 1999||University of Missouri; Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences|
|B.S. 1996||University of Nebraska; Forestry, Fisheries, and Wildlife|
|NRE 1235||Environmental Conservation (in rotation)|
|NRE 2345||Intro to Fisheries & Wildlife (co-taught)|
|NRE 3245||Environmental Law (summer online)|
|NRE 4000W||Natural Resources Planning and Management (in rotation)|
|NRE 4335||Fisheries Management|
Resource selection and habitat use of aquatic species; statistical modeling of habitat use; fish movement and migration; conservation of stream ecosystems; species of special conservation concern; fisheries sampling issues dealing with sample sizes and effort.
|2010 - Present||University of Connecticut, Associate Professor|
|2004 - 2010||University of Connecticut, Assistant Professor|
|1999||University of Missouri, Research Associate|
- O'Connor, K.; L. Nathan; M. Liberati; M. Tingley; J. Vokoun; and T. Rittenhouse. In Press. Camera Trap Arrays Improve Detection Probability of Wildlife: Investigating Study Design Considerations Using an Empirical Dataset. PLoS One.
- Hessenauer, J.-M., J.C Vokoun, A. Welsh, J. Davis, R. Jacobs, and E. O’Donnell. 2017. Can Largemouth Bass Transplanted from an Unexploited Population Genetically Contribute to an Active Fishery? A Test Case for Genetic Management of Exploited Fish Populations. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 37:271-283. DOI:10.1080/02755947.2016.1264504.
- Dreiss, L.M., D.P. Kloster, M.R. Liberati, J.R. Barclay, J-M. Hessenauer, L.R. Nathan, K.M. O’Connor, J.C. Vokoun, and A.T. Morzillo. 2016.Adaptive management as an effective strategy: interdisciplinary perceptions for natural resources management. Environmental Management 59:218-229.
- Liberati, M.R., C.D. Rittenhouse, and J.C. Vokoun. 2016. Beyond protection: expanding “conservation opportunity” to redefine conservation planning in the 21st centrury. Journal of Environmental Management 183:33-40.
- Hessenauer, J.-M., J. Vokoun, J. Davis, R. Jacobs, and E. O’Donnell. 2016. Naivety to angling lost at different rates among fished and unfished populations of Largemouth Bass. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 145:1068-1076.
- Dreiss, L.M., D.P. Kloster, M.R. Liberati, J.R. Barclay, J-M. Hessenauer, L.R. Nathan, K.M. O’Connor, and J.C. Vokoun. 2015. Introducing adaptive management for natural resources: an estuary case study. Natural Sciences Education 44:149-158.
- Hessenauer, J.-M., J.C. Vokoun, C.D. Suski, J. Davis, R. Jacobs, and E. O’Donnell. 2015. Differences in the metabolic rates of exploited and unexploited fish populations: a signature of recreational fisheries induced evolution? PLoS ONE 10:e0128336. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0128336.
- Pregler, K.C., J.C. Vokoun, T. Jensen, and N. Hagstrom. 2015. Using multi-method occupancy estimation models to quantify gear differences in detection probabilities: is backpack electrofishing missing occurrences for a species of concern? Transactions of American Fisheries Society 144:89-95 DOI: 10.1080/00028487.2014.968291.
- Hessenauer, J.-M., J. Vokoun, J. Davis, R. Jacobs, and E. O’Donnell. 2014. Population characteristics of historically unexploited largemouth bass in southern New England water supply reservoirs. Journal of Freshwater Ecology 29:429-439 DOI: 10.1080/02705060.910147.
- Kanno. Y., B.H. Letcher, J.C. Vokoun, and E.F. Zipkin. 2014. Spatial variability in adult brook trout survival within two intensively surveyed headwater stream networks. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 71:1010-1019 DOI: 10.1139/cjfas-2013-0358.
- Landi, A.A., J.C. Vokoun, P. Howell, and P. Auster. 2014. Predicting use of habitat patche by spawning horseshoe crabs (Limulus polyphemus) along a complex coastline with field surveys and geospatial analyses. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems DOI: 10.1002/aqc.2440.
- Kanno, Y., J.C. Vokoun, and B.H. Letcher. 2013. Paired stream-air temperature measurements reveal fine-scale thermal heterogeneity within headwater brook trout stream networks. River Research and Applications 30:745-755 DOI: 10/1002/rra.2677.
- Jensen, T., and J.C. Vokoun. 2013. Using multistate occupancy estimation to model habitat use in difficult to sample watersheds: bridle shiner in a low-gradient swampy stream. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 70:1429-1437 DOI: 10.1139/cjfas-2013-0011.
- Davis, J.P., E.T. Schultz, and J.C. Vokoun. 2012. Striped bass consumption of blueback herring during vernal riverine migrations: does relaxing harvest restrictions on a predator help conserve a prey species of concern? Marine and Coastal Fisheries 4:239-251.
- Gahagan, B.I., J.C. Vokoun, G.W. Whitledge, and E.T. Schultz. 2012. Evaluation of otolith microchemistry for identifying natal origin of anadromous river herring in Connecticut. Marine and Coastal Fisheries 4:358-372.
- Kanno, Y., J.C. Vokoun, K.E. Holsinger, and B.H. Letcher. 2012. Estimating size-specific brook trout abundance in continuously-sampled headwater streams using Bayesian mixed models with zero-inflation and overdispersion. Ecology of Freshwater Fish 21:404-419.
- Fisher, W.L., M.A. Bozek, J.C. Vokoun, and R.B. Jacobson. 2012. Freshwater Aquatic Habitat Measurements, Chapter 4. Pages 101- 161 in Zale, A., D. Parrish, and T. Sutton, eds. Fisheries Techniques, 3rd Edition. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, MD.
- Vokoun, J.C., and Y. Kanno. 2010. Brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) populations in headwater channel networks in Connecticut: riverscape genetics and abundance projections under climate change. Completion Report submitted to Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection. University of Connecticut, Storrs. 43pp.
- Vokoun, J.C, and D. Watrous. 2009. Determining swim speed performance characteristics for fish passage of burbot using an experimental flume and nature-like fishway.Completion Report submitted to Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection. University of Connecticut, Storrs. 27pp.
- Vokoun, J.C., and C. R. Perkins. 2008.Second statewide assessment of mercury contamination in fish tissue from Connecticut lakes (2005-2006).Completion Report submitted to Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection. University of Connecticut, Storrs. 49pp.
- Vokoun, J.C., and C.F. Rabeni.2000. Recovery of prairie fish assemblages at the transition from channelized to unchannelized: implications for conservation of natural channels. Missouri Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit. Completion Report. Columbia, Missouri. 25 pp
- Vokoun, J.C., and D.B. Noltie.2000. Missouri state parks fish faunal survey. University of Missouri, Department of Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences. Completion Report. Columbia, Missouri. 169 pp
- Vokoun, J.C., S. Williams, L. Dorsey, S. Ermeling, and E. Nelson.1997. Sampling the catfishes (Ictaluridae): an indexed bibliography. Missouri Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit, Columbia, Missouri. 27 pp